Saturday, March 3, 2012

Happy 90th Birthday Aunt Margaret

Dear Aunt Margaret,
     My most treasured childhood memories are from my visits to New Mexico because you and Uncle Nelson made them such a special time for Dad and I.   I wrote the following piece to show you just how much those visits meant to me.  
     Then it occurred to me that I had written a journal entry after my last visit with Dad in July of 1987.   I don't remember if I shared it with you at the time; because back then I was quite shy about my writing.  But in honor of your birthday, and to thank you for all the wonderful times we spent together playing cards, tying flies, fishing and visiting, I want you to have it now.
                                      Happy Birthday With Love, 
                                                         Maggie

          My Land of Enchantment - 2012
                      by Margaret Eileen

   White diamonds danced across the dark water.  The bright light of day had not yet reached it's full potential, and the morning air was especially cool under the dew soaked pines.  Shady hollows beneath the trees were awakened by yellow patches of sun stretching downward through hundreds of leafy branches.  A covey of gnats circling low over the lake provoked the occasional trout to breech the surface.  In that early stillness the high pitched spinning of my fishing reel followed by a small, distinct splash was the most vivid.  For in that sound heaven and earth collided.

           Visiting Old Friends - 1987

   Escaping to a world of absent minded melancholy- getting away from it all.  No plan, no agenda, taking a step out of time for a chance to smell the roses.  The return to a simpler life of country breakfasts and neighbors down yonder.
   A climate where folks smile to each other nestled in a small town of gentle breezes with a serene mountain backdrop.  Familiar surroundings once called home create tranquil memories of the past.  The fast pace of our daily lives slows down to a meandering stroll through the streets of nostalgia.
  The warmth and serenity of relatives seldom seen relieve a troubled heart.  There is a pleasant reassurance to be known, understood an encouraged by loved ones with a sympathetic ear.  Details of the past are recaptured with old photographs.  And cool, peaceful evenings spent reminiscing the memories of love lost, bring a smile of love remembered and a joy of love found.
   Content and relaxed by a lake full of trout, problems are gradually put into perspective.

   **Dedicated to Dad, Aunt Margaret, Uncle Nelson for the most peaceful two weeks of my life--New Mexico, June 22 - July 6, 1987.


No comments:

Post a Comment